OUR PROGRAMS EXPLAINED
VISITING ARTISTS + CRITICS SERIESAbout these programs
The UCCS Visiting Artists & Critics Series enters its ninth season with a return to in-person presentations by artists of national and international significance with a goal to foster understanding and appreciation of contemporary art through dialogue and critical conversations. Happening in the Chapman Recital Hall, next door to the gallery in the Ent Center for the Arts.
Over the past nine years, the series has been co-produced by the UCCS Galleries of Contemporary Art and UCCS Visual Art & Art History programs. By inviting artists and scholars of national significance to the UCCS campus to present public lectures and meet with undergraduate students in classes and workshop settings, the Visiting Artists & Critics Series facilitates critical conversations through the arts.
GOCA DIGITAL – VIRTUAL PROGRAMSAbout these programs
Virtual Studio Visits
- For this new series of recorded virtual studio visits, GOCA’s director and chief curator Daisy McGowan invited artists from across the Rocky Mountain West to share their current studio situation, including insights into their artistic process as well as the challenges and opportunities presented by social isolation. The studio visit is among the most intimate exchanges in the art world, providing curators, critics, collectors and peer artists a chance to learn about the artist’s work and process.
- Take a midweek break for Wellness, thanks to GOCA and the UCCS Wellness Center. This free weekly one-hour yoga session is led by Dr. Debby Patz, streaming every Wednesday at noon Mountain Time on her Facebook page and accessible any time on Dr. Debby Patz’ YouTube channel. Wellness Wednesday is a joint program of UCCS Wellness Center and GOCA, first started in 2012. Sessions are geared towards all levels of accessibility. No pre-registration needed – just log on and join in.
- Every Wednesday, noon to 1 PM
- Live via Facebook Live Recorded and posted to YouTube
Lunch Beat Dance Party
- GOCA is teaming up with a weekly DJ to bring you a virtual dance party on Instagram. Live every Friday we offer a chance to dance, bring joy and connection through movement and music.
LUNCH BEAT DANCE PARTYFollow us online for more
GOCA is teaming up with a weekly DJ to bring you a virtual dance party on Instagram. Live every Friday we offer a chance to dance, bring joy and connection through movement and music.
ChitChat is a series of mash-up talks on contemporary culture and DIY topics. Each night features two speakers, hands-on learning (often edible learning!), and a whole lot of lively conversation. ChitChat will induce and encourage diverse discussions on contemporary life - specifically in the Pikes Peak Region--and features some of the finest minds in Colorado Springs (including many of our own UCCS faculty!).
This is going to be a lot of fun, we hope you can join us for the entire series.
ART & WINE
More Info To Come
More Info To Come
MINDFUL MOVEMENT MONDAYSMINDFUL MOVEMENT MONDAYS
Join us for free, 1-hour mindful movement sessions every Monday at the Ent Center for the Arts! Open to all to attend (no UCCS affiliation required).
Mindful Movement Mondays is a nearly decade-long partnership between the Wellness & Recreation Center and the Galleries of Contemporary Art (GOCA) at UCCS. The program typically takes place indoors, set in the Marie Walsh Sharpe Gallery of Contemporary Art space. Guest programming is inter-mixed with weekly yoga sessions with Dr. Debby Patz, certified yoga instructor, and counselor on staff of the UCCS Wellness & Recreation Center.
Limited mats, blocks, straps available to use, and water is provided.
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR
Debby Patz, PsyD, CAC III, E-RYT is a licensed clinical psychologist with a specialty in addictions. Debby is a firm believer that true health incorporates mind, body, and spirit. You can find her at the UCCS Recreation and Wellness Center, Mental Health Services, where she is a staff psychologist offering individual therapy as well as group yoga therapy. Debby has been practicing yoga for over 20 years and has taught in many venues since 2009, including a weekly class for the UCCS community for the past five years.
ABOUT WELLNESS PROMOTION
Wellness Promotion is the public health and outreach division of the Recreation and Wellness Center. The program aims to foster a healthy environment to increase students’ success and well-being. All UCCS students have the right to make informed decisions about their health while at school and beyond, and the Recreation and Wellness Center supports students in helping develop the skills to do so through outreach programs, discussions, and events. In addition, the Center's educational focus promotes understanding of the factors that improve health both for individuals and communities and supports those making health behavior changes. Learn more here.